Monday, March 12, 2012

Belfour confidence high

Goalie Ed Belfour, who will become a free agent July 1, said heexpects his contract to be worked out.

"I want to be a Blackhawk," said Belfour, for whom the Hawkswould receive hefty compensation - two to five No. 1 picks if anotherclub signed him.

"This is where I got my start, and they have been very loyal tome," Belfour said. "I don't want the business part to interfere withthat, but it might. I don't foresee any problems, but my firstresponsibility is to my family."

Five Hawks are expected to participate in the WorldChampionships, which begin in Finland Friday. Steve Konroyd, SteveThomas, Trent Yawney and Steve Larmer will play for Canada, whileJeremy Roenick will play for the United States in the two-weektournament. Chris Chelios was invited, but declined because his5-week-old son, Jake, has a medical problem.

Mike Keenan was still wondering why referee Terry Gregson gaveBelfour an unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty in Game 1 of the seriesfor protesting a call, then failed to punish Mark Tinordi forprotesting a subsequent call.

Here's the reason, Mike: "I touched him with my stick, to gethis attention," Belfour said. "I didn't know I couldn't do that.Someone told me later. I guess that's another thing I learned."

No comments:

Post a Comment